CN / EN
CN / EN

Ask a New Question

Get Supports

If you need one-on-one support for confidential technical issues with your project, please click on "Contact Us" below.

Goodix Fingerprint Driver Crashes Windows 10

tla****com

2021-06-11 23:49

I bought a Dell XPS 9700 laptop which has the Goodix Fingerprint Driver (version 3.0.37.600 dated 6/8/2020) and Windows 10 OS. The driver occasionally crashes Windows 10 and this can be seen by examining the Windows dump files (I uploaded them to my One Drive at http://bit.ly/goodixdumps). Typically this happens when the laptop goes to sleep.

This is a known issue given that the community has reported it a long time ago with other Dell laptops. Is there an updated driver I can try? Disabling the driver is not desirable because it also disables Windows Hello.

The driver hardware id's are:

USB\VID_27C6&PID_533C&REV_0100

USB\VID_27C6&PID_533C

0 Favorites

0 Likes

2 Answers

tla****com

2021-06-17 23:36

Since I haven't gotten any response from Goodix, I open a support ticket with Dell. Their knee-jerk advice was of course to reinstall Windows like it would magically realign drivers. After proving to them that the dump file clearly states that the issue is with Goodix, the technician was able to verify that Dell is working with Goodix on a fix with an unknown release date.

Meanwhile, I disabled the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' setting which effectively disables Windows Hello. I played with other settings, such as disabling Sleep and using only Hibernate but it would still crash. It looks like Windows polls the drivers periodically even if the laptop is sleeping to check their power state. This callback apparently is not implemented as it should in the Goodix driver.

I paid $3,000 for what I hoped a high-end USA laptop but it uses Chinese technology that crashes. What bothers me most is that this issue was reported by the community at least 6 months ago and still no resolution.

0 Comments

0 Likes

0 Favorites

Your comment

919***020

2021-06-15 22:41

I am having the same issue. I tried unchecking the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' which someone suggested fixes the issue. After making this change I had my laptop on and unplugged from any power source and left it on overnight. In the morning when I checked the laptop I had to power on the laptop and found another DMP file with the same error.

The driver version installed on my Dell Inspiron 7500 2n1 laptop is Goodix 3.0.38.200.

Note that previoiusly my fingerprint reader stopped working and I had a Dell technician come to replace the fingerprint reader. Unfortunately the part he had was different from what is installed on my laptop. But when he put the laptop back together the fingerprint reader started working again. It has been working now for about a week. I do not know if this is coincidence or it is somehow related to the sleep issue.

The strange thing is that Dell support person I talked to on the phone about the issue the other day says that the part they ordered to replace on my laptop is the only part listed for this laptop, but it definitely does not work with this laptop. The replacement part the tech had looks similar to the part in the laptop but is a different shape and cannot replace the one in the laptop. Just another part of the mystery of this issue.

0 Comments

0 Likes

0 Favorites

Your comment

You can answer questions after logging in, please or register

Your Voice Matters
Contact Sales

Scan to follow

Open WeChat, use "Scan" to follow.